Greetings all from the Halo Archive once again! As I'm sure any of you who have played the MCC, the game's dedicated servers and UI were sadly riddled with bugs. While 343i share's some of the blame for this, people should keep in mind that most of the work was actually outsourced to other companies. That being said Bonnie Ross, the Head of 343 Industries just released an announcement a few hours ago on their blog page
. Here's what she had to say:
Last month, I promised the Halo and Xbox community that addressing the matchmaking issues and other bugs impacting players’ experience with Halo: The Master Chief Collection was our #1 priority. We’ve been working around the clock deploying weekly content updates and numerous server-side adjustments that have shown good results and we’re encouraged by the feedback we’re hearing from you. Another big challenge was met when we added fan-favorite playlists, such as SWAT and Halo: CE, back to our matchmaking menu and we plan to add more soon. Next week, we’ll release a content update that will add all 10 episodes of the cooperative experience “Spartan Ops” for Halo 4, and will address other issues. I assure you that the team will continue to work on additional content updates to further improve the all-up gameplay experience.
This has been a humbling experience and highlighted how we as a studio can – and need – to do better for Xbox fans around the world. We are so grateful to our fans who have stood by our side and we appreciate all of your patience as we worked through these issues. As a token of our appreciation and to thank fans for the continued support and understanding, we will be offering the following items, for free, to anyone who has played Halo: The Master Chief Collection online since launch (11.11.14) through today (12.19.14).*
- 1 Month of Xbox Live Gold
- Exclusive In-Game Nameplate
- Exclusive In-Game Avatar
* For specifics on eligibility and further details on the offer, visit the FAQ here.
Additionally, you’ve told us that you want more Halo 2: Anniversary multiplayer map content and Halo 3: ODST on Xbox One. As a future bonus, we’re going to make these happen and give them to you for free. We are just now starting work with our partners to bring both to Halo: The Master Chief Collection and will share more specific details on timing in the coming months. But for now, here’s what you can expect:
- Halo 3: ODST Campaign – Development has just started on the campaign for Halo 3: ODST, which will be available within Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and upgraded to 1080p resolution, running at 60fps. It will be available for free to anyone who has played Halo: The Master Chief Collection since launch (11.11.14) through today (12.19.14).* Thanks to our friends at Bungie for creating the original “Halo 3: ODST” campaign.
- “Relic” Halo 2: Anniversary Multiplayer Map – Available via a free content update to Halo: The Master Chief Collection, we will reimagine the fan-favorite map “Relic,” fully remastered and running at 1080p resolution and 60fps. We chose this map based on its suitability for Slayer and Objective modes and its ability to support teams of varying sizes. And you can trust that Certain Affinity will tune and tweak the map to make it even better than you remember.
The satisfaction and joy of our fans is absolutely critical to everyone at 343 Industries and we regret the issues and the frustration you have endured. We are truly sorry and thank you for your continued patience and support of the Halo franchise.
Head of 343 Industries
Yes, you just read that correctly and I wouldn't blame you if you had to re-read again just to make sure. Sometime in the Spring of 2015 we'll be receiving a free month of Xbox Live Gold, an exclusive in-game nameplate and avatar for the MCC, a Relic
remake for Halo 2 Anniversary and an Xbox One port for Halo 3: ODST's
campaign. 343i is going above and beyond with this gift and I can only hope it will help quell the masses who are still bashing/hating/threatening 343 Industries.
In all honesty, I was completely blown away by this announcement and still am. Relic is one of my personal favorite maps from Halo 2 and I absolutely love ODST's story. I can't wait to see what they both look like on the XO. That's it for this update. Feel free to post your thoughts about this revelation in the comment section below or on our forums
. Until next time everyone, cheers!